Thursday, July 8, 2010

Resort Recap

Before I get into the couture shows, I wanted to recap the main trends of the resort collections and some of my favorite looks.  Resort collections always provide such a variety of looks that can be worn year round.  I lean more toward the shirtdress and shorts trends showcased.



Maxis
Designers like Chanel, Emilio Pucci, Erdem, Roberto Cavalli and Givenchy have all mastered the perfect maxi dress.  Although not typically my style (too bohemian chic), their work with silks and chiffons - ruffling and layering is absolutely beautiful.  Makes me wish just a little more that I was 4 or so inches taller...





Maillots
The one-piece swimsuit has made a comeback in a major way this year.  Nothing is sexier than leaving more to the imagination.  In various shapes, styles and prints, designers like Chanel, Diane von Furstenberg, Dsquared², Gucci and Lanvin have all made a statement with swimsuits.  My favorite is the DVF black keyhole maillot with sheer panels on the hips.





Summery Shirtdresses
Shirtdresses were presented in many resort collections.  All were classic but with a twist - either an interesting pattern or unique shape - but I would love to own them all equally.  Shown above are some by Chloé, Akris, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton and Gucci.





Winter Resort?
One of my least favorite trends I noticed in some resort collections was the tendency to add cold-weather clothes and shoes.  When I think resort, I don't think furs, tights, boots or heavy coats.  Although their creation and styling (see above: Gucci, Michael Kors, Yves Saint Laurent, Acne and Burberry) are done beautifully, I'd like to see these pieces in a Fall or Pre-Fall collection.




Shortswear
By far, the most popular resort staple was shorts - in every length, color and fabric.  Above, clockwise from the top left: Chloé, Diane von Furstenberg, Dsquared², Emporio Armani, Versace, Proenza Schouler, Marc Jacobs and Givenchy.  My favorites are the slouchy gray silk Emporio Armani shorts and the black satin pleated Givenchy shorts with the cuff - both would be perfect with heels for a summertime night out.


Photos: Style.com

1 comment:

  1. Great round-up, thanks for posting.
    Greetings from Ireland
    xoxo

    http://www.thewardrobewas.blogspot.com - take a look if you get a chance, we'd really love your feedback - follow if you like what you see!

    ReplyDelete